Welcome to Gazette Weekly a new feature at The Bookish Context! It will serve as a wrap-up of sorts of my weekly explorations in reading, blogging or life in general. And anything really, that catches my fancy. I think this provides a platform for readers to get to know me better!
Summer Rain: Although we are well into summer, the weather in my city has been pleasantly cool owing to the incessant rain. I miss the times when summer involved a whole lot of goofing around.
I have been mostly occupied with my internship. Although, it was an enriching experience the tasks to be completed seem to be never-ending!
Social Media Woes: I have to admit I am NOT at all proficient in the use of social media platforms. It’s only now after the official launch of The Bookish Context, that I have made an effort to expand my horizons because I wanted to connect with the book community. My experience so far has been riddled with mistakes because, to be honest, I am a very private person and a complete introvert, and can never quite figure out what is the etiquette for interactions across such forums.
Opening up to an audience does not come easy. However, taking up this challenge has already proved fruitful as I have met with constant encouragement from everyone! If there has been any faux pas on my part, it’s due to my complete inexperience and I hope to improve upon it.
What Have I Been Reading?
- My Contrary Mary: For a while now, there has been quite a bit of excitement surrounding this historical, young adult fantasy. What made me finally pick it up was the succinct review by Jenna @ Happy Indulgence which highlighted all the appealing elements of the book, characteristic to the authors’ storytelling.
- The Story of Silence: I am captivated by this medievalesque retelling with tales of knights and dragons. Though I am only 30% through, I can tell that it will be one of my favourite reads of this month.
Whatever-You-Want-A-Thon Progress Report
My personal goal for Whateverathon has been met already. I plan on reading The Black Flamingo, Hostage and Heartstopper Volume Four to complete the remaining prompts. However, I have not to been able to find an interesting read for the Indie/Self-Published prompt, do you have any suggestions?
What Have I Been Watching?
The Sleuth of Ming Dynasty: is a Chinese historical mystery drama series in which the current track features an investigation concerning a potential threat to the throne and a conspiracy involving illegal explosives. This show is taking me forever to get through, I have half a mind to give it up! But can you relate to the feeling of being invested in the side characters and eagerly wanting to see how it all ends?
Photograph: This film is truly a hidden gem. Anyone familiar with the acting prowess of Nawazuddin Siddiqui will expect nothing less from him. But what stood out to me was Sanya Malhotra’s performance, she played her part exceptionally well. She was very relatable as a mild-mannered college student who has ceased to remember that she is allowed choices in life, owing to her dictatorial family members. The connection that develops between the characters allows for introspection and seeing themselves in a new light. The ending did leave me with burning questions but in a good way.
Adventures in the Blogosphere
Something New I Learnt
I was initially using the Yoast SEO plugin however this helpful article by Kal @ Reader Voracious made me consider Rank Math as a suitable alternative to my needs. The interface provides a wider range of features that are simple to use. I encountered an issue with how posts appear on search engines and was thankfully able to solve it using the above resource. “Crossing the bridge when we come to it” is the only viable approach for now because blogging seems to involve continual learning.
Bloggers’ Appreciation: Blog Posts I Liked
- Kitty Cosy Mystery Book Haul! by Grand Fabulous Tofu King (BiblioNyan) was such a quirky idea, it had my instant attention. Their website showcases an eclectic mixture of interests including but not limited to Literature, Gaming, Anime, TV Shows and Self-Care. Their writing reflects their unique personality which is the biggest draw to keep coming back to the blog.
- A guide to writing and asking questions for narrative content by eleennaeisloved was a very insightful article to aid critical thinking. Her writing brings out her deeply contemplative self, making her blog an absolute joy to read!
- Book Review: ‘The Secret Life of Albert Entwistle’ by Matt Cain by TheQuickandtheRead. Kate has a simple yet persuasive manner of discussing her thoughts on books that one can depend on her for recommendations. One can find an interesting variety of books in the collection she presents through her blog.
What Have I Posted Recently?
- Linking up with: The Sunday Post is a blog news meme hosted @ Caffeinated Reviewer. It’s a chance to share a post to recap the past week on your blog and share news about what is coming up on your blog for the week ahead.
- It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is hosted @ The Book Date. It is a place to meet up and share what you have been, and are about to be reading over the week.
- Sunday Salon hosted @ Readerbuzz is a place to link up and to share what we have been doing during the week.
And that’s all for this week everyone, see you again next weekend!
What was your favourite part of this week?
What have you been reading or watching lately?
Feel free to share your weekly updates post or chat with me in the comments below!!